6.14.2008

It's a snack pack, yo

A little hobby of mine is to go to shows far away from home, take crappy pictures, even more crappy video, and then post them on this here blog. My first show I checked during my three month Dallas intern stint was RZA as Bobby Digital at The Loft in Dallas. The Loft is the second floor of the Palladium Ballroom. It's a small venue, so I think you're almost guaranteed an awesome show if the act is any good. How was the RZA?? Fucking phenomenal. I don't really even know anything about RZA, other than, you know, the whole Wu-Tang thing, Jarmusch & Tarantino scores and I have listened to Birth of a Prince. Anyone who samples Billie Holiday is OK in my book.


The show was somewhat of a surreal experience. Being one of the few women at the show at all, much less at the front of the stage, I became somewhat of a mockery target. I'm sure I was the only girl who went alone. I'm not sure if I was being hit on, just being made of fun, or if the dudes giving me grief were just on drugs. I'm leaning toward drugs. Anyway, it was my first hip-hop show, I guess, if you want to call it that.



The belt buckle from one of the dudes in the Black Knights (I think). There was a whole little face under there!


Stone Mecca. Opened for the RZA & played with him for his set.



Trying to pull a BT and take feet pictures.


Guitarist from Stone Mecca.


Bobby!


I don't know what was going on here, but I thought it looked kinda funny.

Wooing one of the few ladies at the show.

The show was a good 1 and a half, maybe 2 hours a long. He talked about Wu-Tang non-stop and even did an extra song, Something I Want -- his collaboration with Vincent Gallo. The few videos I took and the track list can be found on the post below. I do have some Stone Mecca videos I will post later on.

Next show is Rilo Kiley at the Palladium. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pics actually look good. surprised.

T said...

Aw, thanks, BT. It means a lot! It was really hard to get anything at all because they moved so much... and it's not like i can change the iso on my baby digi cam.

Anonymous said...

i forgot to get back to you about the show in Tucson. In a word: fantastic. I think I'm in the same boat as you as to your prior knowledge of Bobby Digital, but I had to go because I wanted to make some friends jealous. Stone Mecca sounded great and RZA was on stage for over 2 hours. I thought he was maybe going to phone in the Tucson show, but he fucking brought it big time. I was very drunk, the crowd was awesome and the show was a lot of fun. My ears were ringing the whole next day, which is good. I didn't know Tucson had so many fine African Princesses.