3.20.2008

From Follows Function

I meant to write a lot of things about my lone weekend, but as always I lose focus. I have four days of work left. A pending obit on Sophia Loren (she’s not dead yet) and a story idea given to me by the second coolest lady at the bureau (Lisa; Laurie is first). To be honest I just want to go home. Sometimes I don’t know what I could sacrifice for a career. The list is shrinking. I wish Ivan & Marjon were my fellow interns in DC. If that was the case, I think I would have never gone home.

But anyway, this weekend all did was wander down to the national mall both days. There’s an ass ton of museums. Too many to really go through even if you lived here for a year. The first was the Smithsonian Hirshhorn Museum of Modern Art, and the second was the National Gallery of Art. Both were pretty bad ass, I think, but I like those wacky contemporary museums better. Only because I don’t know enough about art to appreciate the good stuff.


"Criollo" by Edgar Orlaineta. Mexico.

At first I didn't even notice the bicycle attached to the back, but seeing a Breuer homage made me happy. One day I will own a Wassily chair. To be honest, I don't even know that much about Bauhaus, but the little that I do know brings fond memories about my past.


Alexander Calder


This weekend I also fell in love with Alexander Calder. His mobiles were in the Hirshhorn and the National Gallery of Art. The Hirshhorn had a small exhibit, but the latter had giant mobiles on the ground level of the east wing. Even the shadows cast by his mobiles were interesting.



On Saturday when I was sitting on the steps of the gallery, this couple asked me if I would take a photo of them with the capitol building in the background. We got to chit chat, and turns out they're FROM EL PASO!!!! It really made my day. Out of all of the people in the universe that could have walked by the steps of the national gallery of art, at all times, on every weekend, the ones that talk to me are from home. I love it EP. It saves every time I need it to.


EP Friends!


This one is long enough already. The end!

No comments: