3.11.2008

La Oscuridad

So we had a several hour localized blackout last night and it really scared me. I had visions of death, like usual. Not quite violent, just me lying under a pile of rubbish unable to warn my family of my impending death since I couldn't get signal in the building, or call someone I really really love and confess my undying devotion. (I don't know who that phone call would be to yet. With my luck, I'm sure they wouldn't answer).

I only have one window in my apartment which light occasionally seeps into. Since the power around the neighborhood was also down, my room was pitch black. All I had was my cell phone to brighten my way. Anyway, I just went to bed. I am convinced that I have some sort of magnetic energy that disables alarm clocks on cell phones. It didn't ring. It never rings. Unless, I managed to get through pressing snooze six times and I just don't remember. Thankfully, I woke up on my own at 8:30 a.m. --just enough time to continue lying in bed, brush my teeth, and run to work. On another note, I've noticed that I start a lot of my sentences with so.

Last night we also attended a Kalb Report session with Christiane Amanpour.



I guess that was supposed to be the interesting part of the evening, but I lost focus towards the end and was more entertained by the map Jonna was drawing. I think we forgot about Kansas. Maybe. Maybe not. Amanpour was cool, but it made me realize even more that I'm not about the news. I would never put my life in danger, nor my family's life in danger to get a story out. I certainly respect the people who do, but it's just not in me. A noble profession? Meh. I want to write about funny entertaining things. So what if I'm a hedonist? So what! I want sunshine, culture, happiness, travel, music, Mexicans. War?? Leave that to the noblest of journalists to cover, not me.

No comments: